Monday 30 June 2008

Wiola Głowacka

Wiola is a student of the third year of the Faculty of Arts at the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin.

She's written about herself:

My stories, separate, a part of looking for my own form using visually simple pictures of reality. When I see some moments, people, their poses I start to look for the moment, or rather the arrangement of bodies, that would say nothing, yet everything.

It's precisely the moment when figures in a situation are suspended in the air. Thought is free. How do you depict the limitation of thought in the unlimited variety of the body? And how do you depict it the other way round? If I see such frames I process them, I add, I take the best from them so that they can speak for themselves.

That's why I choose people, the microcosm of their surroundings. Their presence, merely being with them is an infinite source of ideas. Sometimes a single gesture is an impuls, the pretext to create. Observation is simple but analysis is not that obvious. You have to study the individual's atmosphere, interpersonal relations until you reach the turning point. And the 'when', 'how' and 'where' depend on us and nobody else.

I find the state of boredom, or one may prefer the expression monotony, stillness (not only mental) very intriguing. Just as what impact it has on the functioning of a human being. What is inside the individual when the boredom really takes place, when it's visible through the body? And what are the consequences? The unknown consequences are the epicentre of this phenomenon. How the unknown outcome can build a painting's suspense. We feel invisible signals foreshadowing further progress of events, though static situation is the content. Yet what's after is more important and what gives meaning to the moment is my depicting it.
Imagine a series of pictures: heroes, something happens (even if nothing happens) – a trivial scene. After a while we notice some inconsistence, something is wrong. Because no situation is really normal.










Works from the Boredom cycle.
Photos by courtesy of the author and the Young Forum of Arts.

No comments: